Wednesday 20 November 2013

The fast paced world of fashion

Imagine, it's September, the weather’s still bearable and Summer is only just over. Most of us haven't even started wearing coats yet. It's that awkward time of year where we aren't ready for Winter clothes and are desperately still clinging to our beloved Summer dresses. But fashion doesn't wait, it always has to be more than one step ahead and this month is fashion month. A whole month where extra lucky (and mostly famous) people can see what they have to look forward to in Spring, about six months from now.


It may seem odd at first, sitting on the front row wearing layers of scarves and coats (or if you're like me, sitting in front of a computer with a blanket and a cup of tea) looking at Spring/Summer clothes in the beginning of Autumn and vice versa but in fashion people like to be ahead. The high-street is similar in the way that if you don't buy a bikini in Spring by the time you actually want a bikini ready for going on holiday in Summer they're all gone and the shops won't be getting anymore because they've already moved onto Winter.

Ridiculous. This mainly annoys me because if it's cold in January and I want to buy a coat I probably won't be able to. I don't want to have to plan my outfits six months ahead; I'd rather live in the moment a little bit when it comes to clothes shopping. Maybe it's a personal fault and I should do my clothes shopping earlier to avoid situations such as what happened this Spring - I wanted some summer shoes because I finally decided to stop calling my converse 'summer shoes', I found some really nice ones and went to buy them, but they were already sold out and they continued to be sold out all summer. Admittedly this was at Topshop and as we know if something nice is in Topshop every girl in the country buys it because every girl in the country shops at Topshop - or at least browses. You would think the most obvious thing that Topshop would do is order in more, right? Well no. They gradually ordered in shoes that were more appropriate for Winter, the shoes were getting thicker and more boots were coming in. So I didn't ever get the shoes I wanted, I should blame myself and be more organised next year.


Recently mentioned Topshop shoes here
Of course I understand fashion month and why it's so early. It's not just us customers that like to know what's in this season, the shops that take inspiration from designers like to know so they can make clothes that will sell, primarily for us. Although it does make me just a little bit uncomfortable watching models in floaty Spring dresses and little sandals whilst I'm thinking about what coat I should buy. Understandably the high-street shops, the journalists, and a lot of other people, need to know so they can make the clothes or report on what we should be wearing.



I just need to adapt to the fast paced world of fashion, I need to buy my bikinis in Spring and my winter coats in Autumn. Alternatively, I could buy Winter coats in the sales and save them for next year, but I am way too impatient for that.

Lots of Love
Sophie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment